COEGA SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONEThe Coega Development Corporation (CDC) is a state-owned enterprise (SoE) in terms of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), based in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality with operations throughout South Africa. The corporation is mandated to develop and operate the 9 003 ha Coega Special Economic Zone (SEZ), which was established in 1999. The Coega SEZ was gazetted by the Minister,
Dr. Rob Davies (Government Gazette No. 40883 on 2 June 2017) in terms of section 39(2) of the SEZ Act No. 16 of 2014 ("SEZ Act"), replacing the Government Gazette No. 21803 of 1 December 2000) made in terms of the Manufacturing Development Act No. 187 of 1993.
The CDC’s vision is to be the leading catalyst for the championing of socio-economic growth. Its mission is to provide a competitive investment location supported by value-added business services that effectively enables socio-economic development in the Eastern Cape and the rest of South
In the 18 years since its establishment in 1999, the CDC has become South Africa’s most successful SEZ and has matured to become one of the biggest drivers of job creation and development of the Eastern Cape economy. It is purpose-designed following the cluster model, which strategically positions related and synergistic industries and their supply chains in close proximity to one another in order
minimise turnaround times.
The Coega SEZ is demarcated into 14 zones, with the focus being placed on the following sectors:
TOP 9 REASONS TO INVEST AT THE COEGA SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
- Trade Solutions
World Class Infrastructure
- The Coega SEZ is ready to "plug and play”. All the necessary infrastructure is in place, including roads, bulk water and sewer networks, telecommunication sleeve networks, electrical substations (HV and MV), and overhead power lines (HV and MV) – all that investors are looking for and more in a
world class industrial development zone.
A Connected Zone
- CDC has robust internal governance structures in place to prevent corruption. Strong and proven supply chain processes ensure minor and mega infrastructure projects are implemented on time,
scope and on budget.
Regional and International Logistics
- There is a rail connection between the SEZ, the rest of South Africa
- Major roads provide a seamless
into the national N2 arterial highway, which connects the SEZ to the rest of the region.
- The zone is integrated into Africa’s newest deep-water harbour, the Port of Ngqura.
- National and international connectivity for passengers and freight is provided by the Port Elizabeth International Airport (PLZ), which is around 20
travelling time away on the N2 Freeway.
- It takes just 1 hour 40 minutes to fly from PLZ to OR Tambo International Airport on a route serviced by a number of airlines.
- The distance to the main banking and business precincts in Port Elizabeth is around 20 km, which takes about 15 minutes.
World Class Support Systems
- The Coega SEZ is strategically positioned on the main Southern Hemisphere east-west shipping routes.
- It is the only SEZ in Africa to be served by two ports, with a combined capacity of over two million TEU (Twenty Foot Equivalent Unit) a year.
- The deep-water port of Ngqura is the designated South African hub for
traffic, and is served by the world’s top shipping lines.
- Named day services connect the port to the main global markets and supply centres.
- The Port of Port Elizabeth
world class container, vehicle, breakbulk and bulk terminals.
- The shipping links are complemented by direct road and rail links to the rest of South and Southern Africa.
One Stop Investor Services Centre
- Geographic Information System helps investors make informed decisions on positioning their plant.
- ICT Solutions for supply chain management, budgeting, procurement and financial management.
- Customs Control Areas (CCA) in the Logistics and Automotive Zones.
- Customs compliance infrastructure management.
- Proven in-house expertise in delivering infrastructure projects of all sizes on budget and on time.
- Full Human Relations support, including recruitment, training and
- Assistance with visa applications, work and study permits, applications for municipal services.
- Assistance with applying for incentives.
- Facilitation of environmental approvals
licence requirements for project development (EIAs, Basic Assessment, Air Quality Licence, Waste
- Customs services to assist with all SARS Customs registrations and permit processes in preparation for approval of facility for operational phases.
- Incentives: Assist all investors to ensure optimal use of all necessary incentives available to industry (SEZ, Municipal, and Sector Specific Incentives).
- The CDC’s Package of Plans approach allows statutory approvals for Site Development Plans and Building Plans to take place within 10 working days, respectively.
- Construction management and operational Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) management systems in place.
- SHE systems monitor and control construction and operational phases (waste management, water and air quality, storm water and effluent, alien plant eradication, open space management).
- The CDC clinic provides services during construction and operational phases.
- The CDC assists investors in their application for incentives offered by the national government, provincial legislature and local municipality. They include incentives for:
- Automotive Production and Development Programme (APDP)
- Production Incentive Programme
- Aquaculture Development and Enhancement Programme
- Research and Development (S11D)
- Export promotion incentives
- Infrastructure support
- Reduced municipal costs
- The Coega SEZ also provides some of the most affordable rates for developed and zoned industrial land in Africa.
Lifestyle – the Best of All Worlds
- Systems are in place to assist investors with skills development.
- Advanced systems for registering work-seeker and competency based recruitment functionality.
- Advanced labour management systems in place.
- Co-ordinated transport services.
- Induction training capacity.
- Central wage payment services.
- Construction Village facilities provide accommodation, conference and training venues.
- Partnership with internationally recognised university (NMMU) for research and development.
- Apprenticeship training centre (construction, manufacturing and MEI).
- Nelson Mandela Bay and its surroundings offer a lifestyle that is the envy of other SEZ operators around the world.
- It offers a cosmopolitan Indian Ocean lifestyle that is a unique mix of the best of African, European and Asian cultures.
- Executives and key staff will find comfortable homes within a 20 minutes commute of the SEZ.
- Nelson Mandela Bay has world-class theatres, including an opera house, museums, restaurants, beaches, public gardens, sports stadiums, gymnasiums, hospitals and shopping malls.
- It is home to some of South Africa’s top schools, as well as the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University.
- There is plenty
opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors – Nelson Mandela Bay is the sunniest metro complex in South Africa.
- Algoa Bay, the metro, is rated as one of the top
sport venues in the world and has world-renowned Blue Flag beaches.
- Nelson Mandela Bay is the gateway to the world-famous Garden Route.
- For those venturing further afield, the Metro is 750 km from Cape Town along the Garden Route, 1 000 km from Durban, and 1 300 km from Gauteng.
NELSON MANDELA BAY LOGISTICS PARK
In 2008 Coega diversified its product offering to include the 216-hectare automotive supplier park the Nelson Mandela Bay Logistics Park (NMBLP), as well as a range of consultancy services. The NMBLP provides infrastructure and services to the motor industry in the Nelson Mandela Bay area. By providing integrated logistics services and infrastructure, the Logistics Park assists the automotive manufacturers to reduce manufacturing costs and improves suppliers’ competitiveness.
041 503 7540
041 503 7509
041 503 7502
- Retention Assist