Make this your Home Page
DIRECTOR: DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Mr Shane Brown
Tel : +27 (041) 501 7900
Fax: +27 (041) 585 2394
SECRETARY: Toleka Gayika
Disaster Management Officers and their satellite offices
News and Events
Key Links & Legislation
To establish and maintain an all-inclusive, intergrated and effective Disaster Risk Management Programme, to the benefit of all communities in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality.
A municipality that understands and embraces Disaster Management practices for a disaster resilient and save environment.
The primary areas of responsibility of this directorate are to:
Establish the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Disaster Management Centre in terms of legislative requirements in order to sustain all aspects of the disaster continuum, which will focus on risk elimination and risk reduction and will include:
· The conducting of detailed investigations into all aspects of NMBM Disaster Management Services/Requirements and the submitting of reports pertaining to findings and recommendations, in this regard;
· The compiling and developing of appropriate training programmes for community disaster awareness and preparedness;
· Developing and implementing public awareness programmes;
· The development of prevention and mitigation strategies;
· The development of comprehensive disaster plans which will form an integral part of the integrated development plan of the municipality;
· Acting in an advisory and consultative capacity on issues concerning disasters and disaster management in the area;
· Establishing and maintaining satellite units to deliver services;
· Ensure adequate capacity to deal with co-ordinated disaster relief, recovery and rehabilitation;
· Assessing the magnitude and severity or the potential magnitude and severity when a disaster occurs or threatens to occur and determine whether the event should be classified as a local disaster;
· Channeling and coordinating appeals for additional assistance to the Provincial Centre and the National Disaster Management Centre when local resources are depleted and the scope of a disaster falls outside that of a local disaster.
OUR MANAGEMENT TEAM