Make this your Home Page
Mr Roland Williams
Tel: +27 (0) 41 502 0002/7
Cell: 079 4900 009
Fax: +27 (0) 86 5049393
Personal Assistant: Magdalene Benjamin
The Communications Office facilitates communication between the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality and all residents, and internal and external stakeholders.
The office uses various platforms and mediums of communication to solicit the views of the public, whilst consistently disseminating information on the objectives, programmes, decisions, actions and activities of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality.
To establish and maintain a positive relationship and mutual understanding between the NMBM and all its publics.
Administration and Support
Public Relations and Events Management
Language Proficiency Unit
Projects and Activities
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT
To handle office and financial administration
• Developing, coordinating and implementing the administration system with a R13 million budget
• Typing all correspondence and reports
• Handling all human resource matters
• Compiling the annual budget and business plan of the office
• Paying all accounts in respect of projects handled by the office
• Implementing and applying budget control measures
• Handling special projects
To handle media liaison services
• Writing and submitting media releases/statements/articles
• Handling media enquiries
• Liaising with directorates/offices and portfolio councillors
• Arranging media conferences/briefings
• Overseeing and implementing the media strategy
To handle product development services
• Constructing and installing billboards
• Producing communication material
• Designing, laying out and printing communication material
• Producing municipal publications
• Handling outdoor information advertising
• Developing and maintaining various websites
PUBLIC RELATIONS AND EVENTS MANAGEMENT
To render public relations and events management services
- Executing public relations and educational programmes, and exhibitions
- Dealing with the media
- Managing and coordinating all municipal functions and handling matters of protocol
- Dealing with queries/complaints/requests from members of the public
LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY UNIT
To provide language-related services
- Rendering a translation, editing and speech-writing service
- Placing and distributing advertisements
- Developing content for publications
- Serving on the editorial team of the Rise Staff Magazine
- Implementing the Language Policy
- Establishing and maintaining a Communications Library
PROJECTS & ACTIVITIES
1. Masithethisane (Come let’s talk together)
- This community outreach programme enables direct communication with the public.
- The political leadership, together with senior managers, go out to all communities for Imbizo’s.
- All inputs, comments, concerns and criticisms are recorded and fed into the IDP, Budget and other decision-making processes.
2. People’s Assembly
- The People’s Assembly is held annually and is attended by all Councillors, senior managers, stakeholders, Ward Committee members and municipal forums.
3. Radio Stations
- Regular talk shows on local radio stations – with standing agreements with four stations: SABC, Radio Kingfisher, KQ FM and Bay FM.
4. Relationship Building
- Developing positive relationships with the media by hosting media workshops and media functions.
5. Media Supplements
- Using the media as a tool for imparting information to the public and consistently keeping the media informed of NMBM policies and activities. This is done through four supplements per calendar year.
6. Internet Access for Journalists
- Planning to ensure media access to NMBM by the installation of internet access for journalists at venues for meetings and the maintenance thereof.
7. Media Analysis
- Monthly comprehensive analysis of audio, print and visual media.
- Staying abreast of all South African/international news by subscribing to various newspapers.
- Preparing and presenting presentations, where necessary, using the latest technology and techniques.
- Designing and preparing brochure content.
- This expertise is provided to all directorates within the Municipality.
11. Public Relations & Events Management
- Managing and coordinating all Council public events.
12. PR Training
- PR skills training for Councillors and employees.
- To produce a PR Manual in this respect.
- Training workshops to be held.
13. Councillors Handbook
- Together with the Office of the Municipal Manager a Councillors Handbook will be distributed to all new Councillors.
14. Protocol Assistance
- Provision of protocol Services during high-profile provincial, national and international visits.
- Hosting exhibitions.
- Exhibiting at national and international shows.
- Producing exhibition material.
16. Special Projects/Events
- Participating in special projects such as the preparation and submission of Council’s entry to the World Leadership Forum.
· Attending all standing committee meetings, events meetings and management and liaison meetings. Acting as facilitators at working meetings, workshops and retreats.
18. Dairies, Desk Pads, Year Planners, Calendars
- Managing the process and producing all communication products, such as Council diaries, desk pads, year planners and calendars.
- Planning, organising, developing and controlling all such products.
19. Municipal Website
20. Events Calendar
- Maintaining an events calendar that is updated on a weekly basis.
- Placing, distributing and designing all advertisements in both the print media and electronic form.
22. Language Proficiency
- Developing content for publications, such as the NMB Prospectus and brochures
- Serving on the editorial team of Rise Staff Newsletter.
- Implementing the Language Policy.
- Translating all Council material to and from Afrikaans, English and isiXhosa.
24. Outdoor advertising
- Plasma screens at the airport: managing footage and leasing screens.
- Co-ordinating lamppost adverting by monitoring design, period of advertising and location.
- Developed new policy and by-law.
- Concessionaires to be appointed.
- Designing and developing all Council posters.
- Putting up posters across NMB on a bi-monthly basis.
- Overseeing all designing and layout.
26. Bus Decals
- Maintaining information and publicity using the medium of visuals.
- Managing the design and position of billboards in relation to municipal campaigns.
- Presently eight (8), but this will increase with the appointment of concessionaires.
- Loudhailing is consistently used as an effective means of communicating with communities.
29. Flyer Distribution
- A5 flyers are consistently distributed in communities.
30. Photography and Videography/DVD
- Recording all events for publicity and record purposes, using the latest technology.
31. Promotional Items
- Procuring and controlling promotional items relevant to municipal campaigns, such as key rings, caps, pens, stickers, tattoos, badges and magnets.
32. Ubuntu Community Magazine
- Complete production and management of publication.
- Bi-monthly magazine, A4.
- Print run of 240 000 – distributed to all households.
33. Rise Staff Newsletter
- Complete production and management of publication.
- Bi-monthly, A4.
- Print run of 7 000 – distributed to all municipal employees.
- Researching and analysing all publications.
- Conducting community needs analysis, when necessary, for research purposes.
- Assimilating and collating data.
- Setting-up and maintaining NGO and other relevant databases.
- Maintaining the Communications Library: e.g. videos, tapes, photographs, copies of speeches, databases.
37. Corporate Gifts
- Procuring and distributing corporate gifts.
38. Brand Management
- Managing the core brand for both the institution and the geographical area and its applications.