News Article

Life-changing electrification project benefits hundreds of NMB families

Published: December 06, 2023

<< BACK TO NEWS

Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Electricity and Energy Mayoral Committee Member, Cllr Zanele Sikawuti has kick-started the official electrification and energizing of informal settlements as NMBM continues to restore dignity to the human settlements of various communities.


Starting at Missionvale on Wednesday, 6 December 2023, MMC Sikawuti said the Metro was committed to bring life and light to previously disadvantaged communities in line with the Integrated Development Plan (IDP) needs of residents.


A total of 117 bungalows were energized in Missionvale on Wednesday, while 70 homes were energized at the Silvertown informal settlement in KwaZakhele.


Addressing the residents MMC Sikawuti said: "We are so happy to be bringing life and light to these communities today understanding their long outstanding plea for electricity. We are happy that the residents have committed to remove the deadly illegal electricity connections, we have educated them on safe electricity use. We want to assure other areas too that we will come to connect them as this is an ongoing project. On Friday we will be in Ward 56, Baloyi informal settlement to do the same work. It’s really a joyous time for our people.”


A total of 170 homes will be energized in Baloyi informal settlement, the MMC added.

An excited Missionvale resident, Miselwa Mdwekesha said she was overjoyed that the project was successfully completed.


"We are so happy to have finally reached this stage. The journey has not been easy at all, but we are happy that the Municipality has delivered on its promised. Some of us are elderly people who are sick so really our quality of life will improve now as illegal connections have been a big risk but we could not live without electricity. We wish to thank the Municipality,” said Mdwekesha.


Ends.


Issued by NMBM Communications Office.


Top stories


“Get your house in order or face arrest”, NMBM Metro Police warns tavern owners February 19, 2024 A 52-year-old man was arrested on Sunday, 18 February 2024, during a joint tavern compliance operation by Nelson Mandela Bay law enforcement agencies.
Nelson Mandela Bay reclaims CBD areas February 18, 2024 In its mission to reclaim the central business districts, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has recruited 32 new safety and security wardens that have been deployed to enhance safety for residents, tourists and businesses.
 

 

Using a Touch Screen?
Click below for instructions to fix Touch/Swipe issues experienced in Microsoft Edge.

Show me the fix! No thanks
This might take a while depending on your connectivity.
Please be patient while we search the entire site & all its modules for you...