News Article

NMBM Health MMC takes the Covid-19 booster shot

Published: January 18, 2022

<< BACK TO NEWS
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Mayoral Committee Member for Public Health, Cllr Thsonono Buyeye today led from the front and received his COVID-19 booster shot at the Livingston Hospital in Gqeberha. 

During the visit to the hospital, he encouraged other residents and patients to get their vaccines if they have not been vaccinated yet and those who are eligible for the booster shots to make their follow up visits to the health care centres and get the booster shots. 

"As at 17 January there were 1484 residents within our City who were recorded as having COVID-19. We have noted the decrease in the number of infections and are happy about this, however we are still concerned that our people are still dying from this vicious disease. In the last seven days, 19 deaths were recorded and that is not the reality we would like to see.”
 
"We need more people to be vaccinated as vaccines minimise the chances of hospitalisation or death, even when one gets infected with COVID-19. I took my J&J vaccine last year already and today I came for my booster shot. I am perfectly fine, the myths about these vaccines remain fake news and we plead with our residents not to listen to fake news as they pose more danger than they do good,” MMC Buyeye said. 

During the COVID-19 Joint Operating Centre meeting today, a total of 155 patients were reportedly admitted in hospitals, 82 patients admitted in private hospitals and 73 in public hospitals. 
 
"We are encouraged by those who have chosen to play their part and get the vaccine. We want to go back to watching sports in our stadiums, have the hospitality industry fully open so that many of our people can get their jobs back and we can’t have that if the majority of our population is not vaccinated in our City. We are calling on the young and old to get vaccinated especially now that schools are re-opening tomorrow and the human interaction will increase,” Buyeye said.

Ends.

Issued by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Communications Office.

Top stories


Public-Private Partnerships the solution to solve illegal dumping crisis May 18, 2022 A major clean-up campaign in New Brighton’s Sheya Kulati Drive and surrounding industrial area has birthed a promising future for the area, recently misused by residents and businesses to dump waste illegally.
NMBM cautions residents about increasing Covid-19 active cases May 03, 2022 The Nelson Mandela Bay COVID-19 Joint Operating Centre (JOC) has noted with concern the growth in the number of COVID-19 positive cases in the City.
 

 

Using a Touch Screen?
Click below for instructions to fix Touch/Swipe issues experienced in Microsoft Edge.

Show me the fix! No thanks
This might take a while depending on your connectivity.
Please be patient while we search the entire site & all its modules for you...